Volunteer tutor opportunity
We are reaching out to ask if you would be interest in tutoring with The Access Project. We are an education charity that supports students from disadvantaged backgrounds to access great universities. We are looking for volunteers who would be able to tutor a young person aged 14-18, online, one hour a week in term-time Autumn 2023- Summer 2024, to support them with their academic studies.
- Support a young person in a subject of your choice to achieve the GCSE / A level grades they deserve and to fulfil their potential.
- Build transferable skills, experience and knowledge through ongoing training and development as part of the role.
- Students supported by The Access Project typically achieve a grade higher at GCSE and are four times more likely than their peers to progress to a top-third ranked university.
We provide a full comprehensive training and induction to help you build the confidence to be the best volunteer you can be.
Interested? You’ll need to:
- Either be currently studying for an undergraduate degree or have an undergraduate degree/equivalent professional qualification.
- Either have an A Level subject you wish to tutor at GCSE (grade B or above) or an undergraduate degree in a subject you wish to tutor at A level.
- Be able to spare one hour a week in school term time over the next academic year to tutor (starting Sept/Oct 2023), plus 30 mins a week preparation time.
- Be prepared to undertake an enhanced DBS check (criminal records check) and provide two references (personal or professional).
How does it work?
- Sign up at www.theaccessproject.org.uk/volunteer
- Sign up to any of our 2.5 hour training sessions over the summer, there are various dates so you can find one that suits you: During this session you’ll learn everything you need to know for your weekly one1 hour tutoring sessions.
- You’ll complete a DBS check (criminal records check) and an online safeguarding course.
- We’ll match you with a student who is looking for support in your subject. In particular, we are seeing high demand from our students for support with sciences and maths so volunteers who are able to support in maths and science subjects would be particularly welcome. There are also many opportunities for volunteer tutors in other subjects including humanities and languages.
Any questions? Please reach out to Mary, Volunteer Recruitment Coordinator, at : Volunteering@theaccessproject.org.uk
We look forward to hearing from you!
This sounds like an amazing opportunity for CPD and working with children above the age group I currently teach! Thanks 👍🏻
Hi Simba, thanks for your message. It is great to hear from you and learn that our volunteer tutor role is of interest to you. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to reach out. We look forward to hearing from you. Best wishes, Mary - Volunteering@theaccessproject.org.uk